This page describes how we treat the information provided by visitors, what other information we gather and how we use it, the purpose of cookies and how to prevent them.
In common with almost all professionally run websites, thisisxbox.com does log the IP address of each visitor on the server in order to keep it running reliably. This is a common practise and also essential for protecting the website and its visitors from malicious attacks, including infection with malware. We choose to monitor website statistics such as unique pageviews and unique visits which may store non-identifiable cookies on your device that can be disabled.
thisisxbox.com provides news and information as a service to vistors such as yourself. In providing a means for visitors to be able to comment, engage and communicate on the content at their own will, a commenting system from Disqus.com is in place at the end of each post. This service uses essential cookies as part of a logging in process to recognise you when you make a comment on this website and any other website that uses Disqus. With social network functions, the social networks you use will also store cookies to remember you and what content (if any) that you have shared.
How Cookies Are Used
- Determining if you are logged in or not
- Remembering your search settings
- Allowing you to add comments to our site
- To display and/or enable thisisxbox to see most read content and top posts
- To display advertisements that help fund this website
- To count popular posts and pageviews
Third Party Functions
Our site, like most websites, includes functionality that can at times be provided by third parties. A common example is an embedded YouTube video and third party advertising content to help fund this website. We use Technorati Media as our advertising partner.
Disabling these cookies will likely break the functions offered by these third parties, but on the advertisements you can click the AdChoices icon for more information and opt-out options. The icon is as shown below:
Social Website Cookies
So you can easily Like or share our content on both Facebook and Twitter – we have included sharing buttons on our site.
Cookies are set by:
The privacy implications on this will vary from social network to social network and will be dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen on these networks
The following cookies that are in use when using the services of thisisxbox.com are listed below:
- DISQUS / Google = DisqusAuth / SessionID / UTMZ / UTMV / UTMC / UTMB / UTMA / _JID – Some or all set and used by Disqus.com on any page that includes a Disqus comment box so that it can keep you logged in to commenting services when you interact with it. Some of these can also be set by Google and Digg
- TWITTER = Guest_ID – Set by Twitter for the browser to remember the guest id to display the latest news from our twitter account.
- YOUTUBE = PREF / NID/ Use_Hitbox / Visitor_INFO1_Live – Set by Youtube (Google owned) to display embedded videos, estimate your bandwidth and show the views counter within the media.
- FACEBOOK = Reg_FB_Ref / Reg_FB_Gate / Datr – Set by Facebook Buttons for authentication.
- TECNORATIMEDIA = UTMZ / UTMA / UTMC / Tads_** – Set by Technorati Media and associated ads shown to display advertising content and count views.
Avoiding Web Cookies
Do Not Track is a technology and policy proposal that enables users to opt out of tracking by websites they do not visit, including analytics services, advertising networks, and social platforms. By default, thisisxbox.com respects users preference and will not track visitors which have specified “I do not want to be tracked” in their web browsers. For more information about DoNotTrack, check out donottrack.us.
You can also stop all cookies from any website being used on your PC within your browser settings. Using the options within the top three browsers below will prevent them in future, but some websites will not function correctly without them.
Google Chrome: Click Wrench Icon on Toolbar
- Select Settings and then Click Show advanced settings. In the “Privacy” section, click the Content settings button. In the “Cookies” section, you can change the cookie settings to block by default.
Internet Explorer: Tools / Internet Options / Security
- Set security level to “High”, or Custom level / Cookies / Disable
Mozilla Firefox: Tools / Options / Privacy / Cookies
- Uncheck “Allow sites to set cookies”
Any information that you submit to us through this website will only be used for the purposes we solicited it. For example, to respond to an enquiry, and will not be used for any other purpose without your consent. We will never pass it on to any third party without your consent, unless legally required to do so. When leaving a comment on pages of thisisxbox.com administrators and authors of this site will be able to view your email address which is hidden from public view.
The information on this page applies only to this website and not to other sites linked to from these pages.