Microsoft’s first hint towards both a new Halo game on the current Xbox 360 and the next-gen Xbox console, Xbox 720, Xbox Loop or if preferred the newly rumoured Xbox 8, comes today via a job posting on the Microsoft Careers website.
343 Industries are in need of an Art Director who can advise, direct, and facilitate internal and external teams in the development of Halo content across multiple platforms… yes “Multiple Platforms” – so the successful candidate will be completing a project that will see a Halo released on more than one form of Xbox console.
Since Halo 4 is likely to be winding up completion and getting ready for a nice polish up prior to a fall release this year, it seems unlikely that Halo 4 will be released across multiple platforms. Since it’s already known and common knowledge that Halo 4 will be the start of a whole new trilogy, the recent job posting is likely to be for an Art Director for Halo 5 which could be released across the current-gen and next-gen of Xbox console.
Whilst no other specifics were mentioned, the full job ad in question is below:
The Central Media Art team is looking for a multi-talented candidate who can focus on the publishing art direction efforts for our largest franchise, Halo. This is an opportunity to help expand the rich Halo universe with our external partners and drive quality to the highest standards in the industry whilst adhering to the demands of schedule and budget. With deep experience in modern art production processes and techniques, the ideal candidate has led multiple teams to success through critical insight and imaginative vision. Possessing expert communication, diplomacy, and negotiation skills, this creative lead must adapt their management and communication styles to accommodate multiple challenging situations and personalities, often across multiple cultures.
- Advise, direct, and facilitate internal and external teams in development of Halo content across multiple platforms
- Long term relationship management with internal teams and external partners, consistently raising the quality bar for Microsoft Studios titles
- Ability to manage a full spectrum of Artists, across multiple experience levels
- Cross-functional collaboration and leadership
- BA or BFA in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, or similar
- 5+ years in Art Director position or similar, with a proven track record of managing large teams to success, as well as building/maintaining art production schedules
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills, both verbal and written
- In-depth mastery of 2D and 3D art and animation packages, including Photoshop and at least one industry standard, such as Maya, 3D Studio Max, Softimage or Houdini. Experience of ZBrush or MudBox considered a plus
- In-depth development experience using multiple games engines, like UE3, CryEngine, Unity and proprietary solutions considered a plus
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of game development process, from design methodology to craftsmanship and production
- Must be willing to travel
If you have any, why not share your thoughts in the comments section below?