It was only a few days ago that I was writing about how EA was reaching out to its community to help further develop their games and include content that the players wanted. Now this is not new as has been done for a while with the Battlefield Series, even if some of it fell on deaf ears. However EA and its associated development teams seem to have gone into overdrive for the new year and over the last 48hrs we’ve been bombarded with news of free content, map updates, scheduled development and release plans for the coming months. Included in this wealth of information was Star Wars Battlefront.
As of today, well after the maintenance period is over, players will be treated to a few nice amendments in the already great Star Wars Battlefront game and just for you here is what you can expect.
- The Tatooine Survival map will now support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and is called Raider Camp.
- New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, both of which will be available to all fans when they play as these two iconic characters on Hoth – these were unlocked for completing the Heroes’ Holiday community mission last month.
- Players will have the ability to create Private Matches, which makes playing with friends even easier.
- The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events.
- Some overall balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.
It doesn’t stop there though and in February DICE have promised to add even more content including a new Survival mission on Hoth, and a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map that will support the larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. Turning Point will also be expanded to become available on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy.
March has more content in the form of another new multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.
So all in all not bad for the next few months and whats even better is that it’s all free, but what about the Season Pass holders?
Just to keep everyone happy DICE have also provided information about the four digital expansion packs that will form the DLC to the game and will be free to season pass holders or purchasable on an individual basis to all others.
- Star Wars Battlefront Outer Rim (March 2016) – Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine
- Star Wars Battlefront Bespin (Summer 2016) – It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
- Star Wars Battlefront Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – more news to follow in the coming months.
Personally I cannot wait to Fall 2016 when we can battle on the Death Star but until then it looks like DICE are providing us with enough content to keep everyone happy. So what are your thoughts on the update and if you could pick a location to add to the game what would it be, let us know?